Monday, January 15, 2007

2004 Yellow Tail Shiraz/Grenache


Australian label Yellow Tail has a number of interesting wines available only in the U.S., including a Shiraz Grenache Blend ($5 special this month, normally less than $10). These are mass produced for a less discriminating audience for sure, but I don't know a lot of people who drink $20 wines every day.

Grenache is quickly rising in my own grape preference, and Australia has been producing decent Shiraz for a number of years. Yellow Tail hails from Southeastern Australia and a successful marketing strategy has made this a staple of parties all over the U.S.

Upon opening I was pleasantly surprised by the smell - dark cherries, vanilla and a creamy smell. These are characteristics that I prefer in Cabernet Sauvignion, and although the proportions weren't the same (and no earthiness), I still liked the smell. The taste was similarly pleasant. Fruity, but dark and complex for the price. It tastes a bit "hot" to me (the spice in my opinion results more from alcohol than oak) but this is a nice wine for an everyday drinker. And for $5 it is a heckuva deal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home