Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bodega Renacer Punto Final Clasico Malbec 2006

At around $10 a bottle, this Argentinian Malbec is perhaps the best valued wine I've rated on this blog! I first had this at the Veranda, where Nick tries hard to maintain a huge list of wines that are good value but difficult to find. If someone else in town carries any of his wines he replaces it with something even harder to find.

While New World wines, particularly from South America, have gained in popularity, they tend to be jammy and fruit forward compared to their Old World counterparts. Nick claims that I'm an "Old World" guy but when you have a wine like Punto Final...well, it's enough to make me want to convert.

Straight out of the bottle take note of the deep ruby color - not a wimpy Pinot purple :-) !! The nose is spicy and toasty but well balanced. The palatte is full of dark berries (blackberry!) and spice. Overall I found this to be well balanced, a hint of oak but not overoaked...fruit but not overly fruit forward...a tinge of earth (which I *love* in wine) but not like smelling fresh dirt.

I had cracked open a Chilean 60% Cab 40% Carm the previous evening for the same price. Good, but it tasted like nearly every other $10 bottle you can get (and many cheaper wines are better!). But this Punto Final...well...I can't say enough about it.

Overall an excellent wine. With only 5,500 cases made, it is going to be difficult to find. But if you can, scoop up a few bottles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home