Saturday, January 05, 2008

Mumm Cordon Rouge NV



Happy New Year! I felt that my first post of 2008 should be, appropriately, a bubbly. There is lots to celebrate, from Rebekah's impending move to Minnesota to my continued publication as a wine journalist! (shameless plug - check out "WineS" magazine at a fine retailer near you...)

Let's get to business. I bought a bottle of Mumm Cordon Rouge NV at a recent "dot sale" at my favorite retailer - Westside Liquor in St Cloud Minnesota. The dot sale puts wine on sale at 20, 30, 50 and 70% off. I've learned that many of the 70% are at LEAST drink now wines, if not past their prime, but the 50% wines are generally good finds. I beelined for the bubbly on the first day of the sale and was happy to find a bottle of Cordon Rouge for only $22!

I've been nearly obsessed with this champagne even before my wine snobbery began. You see, this is what Formula One drivers spray on each other on the podium after a hard-fought race!



I popped the cork with reverence and a gleam in my eye, asking REbekah if she minded if I sprayed her and our dog as if I had just won the Monaco GP. As I poured I noted that it was properly effervescent and had a deep, golden straw color. I expected it to be on the heavy side, but the nose indicated otherwise. A hint of yeast with light fruit, not unlike a Sauvignon Blanc with a hint of tropical fruit and sweetness. The palate was equally divine, a *very* drinkable champagne that is a nice contrast to the heavy examples (like Veuve Cliquot, for example). Before we knew it, we had sipped through the bottle...unfortunately.

I'm going to be standing outside the dot sale before Westside opens next time, looking for bubbly!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home